Old Travel Series: A Free Day in Holland (Europe, Part 7)

This post is part of a series where I’m incorporating old travel journal entries into this blog. This part of the series is from my first ever trip to Europe, when I visited the Netherlands, Belgium, and France with a group from my college. This is transcribed from the original hand-written journal I kept during that trip while I was still just a wee college student. I hope you enjoy it! Stay tuned for more tales of our adventures!

Didn’t catch the first post in this series? Start from the beginning!

A map of Haarlem

Our last day in Holland was a free day. Norwood and I had planned to take the train back to Amsterdam for some shopping, but there was a train strike in Amsterdam so we decided to stay in Haarlem instead. We had quite a relaxing day. We shopped on the main streets of Haarlem and bought some cool stuff. Norwood got a great pair of really cool shoes without laces like he had been looking for. We both got some great Holland cheeses to take home to our families, and the guy at the cheese shop vacuum sealed them for us so they would ship well.

We walked around a bit and had some amazing ice cream at a gellateria right next to  the church. Soon after, we decided to rent some bicycles and ride around the city. On our way to the train station (which is where the bike rentals were), we met up with Dinah and Julie and they decided to come with us. The bikes were great but a bit too large for me (it was the smallest they had, Dutch people are tall). I was very sore the next day as a result of the too big bike!

Nevertheless, riding around the city was great fun. We first rode to the windmill (Norwood makes fun of me because I pronounce it “windmeal“) in town and took some fun pictures next to it. We then rode out to the countryside and found some gorgeous spots, including another windmill which we took many pictures of. It was great exercise and very fun as well.

We stopped back in at the hotel for dinner with the group and then we were going to take the bikes back together but we lost Dinah so we rode around the city a few times looking for her and eventually figured out that she had already turned her bike in, which I was glad to hear because I was extremely sore from the bike that was too large for me by that time. Norwood and I were quite tired by this time so we didn’t go out with the group at night, we pretty much just went straight to bed.

Didn’t catch the first post in this series? Start from the beginning!

Next post in this series:


1 reply »

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s