Pacific Northwest Adventure, Part 9: The long journey home.

Didn’t catch the first post in this series? Check it out here:

Our last day in the Pacific Northwest was an extremely long and exhausting day. We woke up and began packing and cleaning up our Airbnb to ready ourselves for checkout. Once that was completed, we decided to head into Gastown one last time for some lunch since it was going to be a long drive back to Seattle.

We found an inexpensive and delicious little sushi restaurant where we ordered a few items. Turns out the portion sizes at this sushi restaurant were enormous, however, because we ended up with way more food than we could possibly hope to consume. We did our best, hahaha.

After lunch, we headed out on our drive back to the United States. Everything went smoothly until we got to the actual border where we had to wait in the car for AN HOUR until we were allowed to cross back over. I’m going to complain for a moment here. Why did it take us ten minutes to get INTO Canada and AN HOUR to get out? Every time I leave the country, my country of destination tends to be a pretty smooth arrival and I make it through customs pretty quickly. Every time I try to get back into the United States, however, it takes forever. Look. I love my country and it is full of beautiful places, amazing things to do, awesome food, and a lot of really nice people, but we obviously have our problems just like anywhere else. One of those problems is our border checks. They are ridiculous! Even as a citizen it takes me forever to get back into the country every time I leave.

I remember coming back from Australia and LAX customs and immigration taking over two hours! I always feel bad for people visiting our country from abroad because that is the first impression they get of our country. I want to say, “I promise the whole place isn’t like this horrible line! We’re nice, I promise!”.

Anyway, I’m getting off topic. But yeah, the border crossing took forever.

When we finally got through the border crossing, I yelped with delight that our car was actually moving again.

Onward to Seattle.

We hit quite a bit of traffic when we got into the Seattle area and didn’t have time for much of anything except driving straight back to the rental car facility where we dropped off our car. We weren’t flying out though, only saving a day’s worth of rental car money, so our next steps were to take the rental car shuttle to the airport, then to walk to the hotel shuttle area and wait for the shuttle from our hotel to pick us up. That took about a half an hour, but it finally came and took us to the hotel.

Last day PNW

You know you’re in a Denny’s when you see ‘Moons over my hammy’ on the menu.

I was pretty exhausted by this point so we just went back to the hotel and rested for the evening. When dinnertime came, we considered room service since we were so tired, but after looking at the prices we decided against it. There was a restaurant in our hotel, but it was also incredibly expensive, so we instead opted to go ask the concierge where the closest cheap food was located. To make a long story short, we ended up eating at Denny’s. I didn’t even care, I was just hungry and tired, and Denny’s suited my needs just fine.


We turned in pretty early that night because the next morning we had to wake up at 4am to catch the shuttle back to the airport to board our plane. We were glad we were early, because we discovered that SeaTac airport is a mess and it takes forever to get through security there. Take note in case you’re ever flying from Seattle…get to the airport EARLY.

Our plane boarded at 6:30 and I was pleased to find that I had gotten the bulkhead seat in the front of the plane with the extra legroom. Woo hoo!

We had a stop in San Jose, where I drank a bloody mary, and then it was onward to San Diego.

After landing, we caught a super shuttle home from the airport (and of course hit a ton of traffic on the way). We had no food in the house, so we dropped off our bags, ran to the nearest taco shop for a quick lunch, and then went home where I passed out on the couch for the rest of the day, only to wake up around dinnertime and whine at my husband until he got me something to eat.Then I went back to sleep.

I slept like the dead that night and woke up delirious and confused in the morning when my alarm for work went off. It was a sleepy day, but I made it through and got back on track with my regular life.

What an incredible trip that was! I had an amazing time visiting Seattle and Vancouver and can’t wait to go back someday. For now, I’m just going to plan the next adventure! I’ve got a camping trip coming up soon, and I’m thinking Japan might be on the horizon when I can save up enough to go. There are also a lot of little weekend trips I want to take.

Keep traveling, kids!

Didn’t catch the first post in this series? Check it out here:


1 reply »

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s